Existing big market potential for HC Chillers
The graph bellow is useful to understand the market potential for HC chillers which amounts to a $4 bn world market.
|2010 chiller market||Total world||Europe||Mid East, Africa, Indian SC||China||Rest of world|
Of the total market in 2010, 82% of chillers less than 500kW have an average of $1,800 million and 72% of air-cooled chillers less than 500kW amounts to an average of about $1,700 million.
Current products available in the market
There are many current manufacturers who produce hydrocarbon refrigeration as well as air conditioning applications. One of which is Johnson Controls with its “Air-cooled chillers” features of which are:
- High safety aspects – designed to EN 378; up to 25kg of R290
- R290 gives ~ 15% higher COP than R407C or R410A products
- Cost of HC chiller is more than traditional HFC products, but they apply “ green premiums”
HC chillers are not more expensive that HCFC/HFC refrigeration because:
- Small cost for factory conversion
- Few percent for system construction, maybe negative
- Good cost-effectiveness, especially considering energy savings
Hydrocarbon refrigeration has been produced by companies since 1995 and has now been around for years in Europe. Though the earlier use of HC chillers were fairly limited, in recent years, the use of hydrocarbons refrigerants has increased considerably and are increasingly appealing because of good performance measures and easy substitution of ODS refrigeration. Besides, the major concerns with regards to HFCs and GWP also favours the development of natural refrigeration.